Funny sayings from around the world

By tushar083 - August 24, 2017

Did you know that 'God bless you and may your moustache grow like brushwood' is Mongolian for 'Bless you'? Here's our round-up of some of the funniest sayings from around the world...

Armenian

‘Stop ironing my head!’ = Stop annoying me!

Cheyenne

‘The turtle is shrouded’ = There’s low visibility.
‘My tapeworm can almost talk by itself’ = My stomach is growling.

Dutch

‘I’m sweating carrots’ = I’m sweating like a pig.

Estonian

‘To make an elephant out of a gnat’ = To make a mountain out of a molehill.

Finnish

‘To pace around hot porridge like a cat’ = To beat about the bush.

French

‘To have teeth that scratch the floor’ = To be extremely ambitious.
‘To pedal in the sauerkraut’ = To go nowhere fast.
‘The carrots are cooked!’ = This situation can’t be changed.

German

‘You have tomatoes on your eyes’ = You’re not seeing what everyone else is.
‘Break a neck and leg’ = Break a leg.
‘To live like a maggot in bacon’ = To live a life of luxury.

Hindi

‘To excrete embers’ = To get very angry.

Italian

‘To have one’s eyes lined with ham’ = Can’t see the wood for the trees.


‘Into the mouth of the wolf’ = Break a leg.

Japanese

‘To have a wide face’ = To have lots of friends.

Korean

‘It’s a carrot’ = Of course.

Mongolian

‘God bless you and may your moustache grow like brushwood’ = Bless you (for when someone sneezes).

Polish

‘Not my circus, not my monkeys’ = Not my problem.
‘Don’t feed the donkey sponge cake’ = Don’t give fine treatment to those who don’t deserve it.

Russian

‘I’m not hanging noodles on your ears’ = I’m not pulling your leg.

Spanish

‘To give someone a pumpkin’ = To reject somebody/stand them up.

Sweden

‘There’s no cow on the ice’ = Don’t worry/there’s no reason to panic.

Ukrainian

‘Work is not a wolf, it doesn’t run into the woods’ = I can get back to that later.
‘My cottage is at the edge’ = It’s none of my business.



Do you know any other funny sayings from around the world – or even in the UK? 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments